Thursday, February 9, 2012

Transitions

I just read Transition: Making Sense of Life's Changes by William Bridges and it was very thought provoking.

This isn't going to be a book summary post, I will leave that up to you find on your own. This post will be about my thoughts as I read the book and how it changed me.

Everyone goes through transitions but not everyone actually transitions. Some people will "change" but in all reality, they are still the same person they were before the change. They might dress a little differently or act a little different but deep down, they are the same person.

Transitioning in my life has been hard, I think I fell victim to thinking that "change" was transitioning. I would use change as an excuse to put off transitioning because it was a lot easier to change. When I say "change" I mostly mean that I changed my external surroundings. The fact that I changed my surroundings made it easy to feel that I had changed internally.

Transitions are something we all go through but they become hard when we prolong them by changing and neglecting to transition. Transitions are one of those things that you can run from but you can never get out of them. By facing transitions head on, you relieve yourself from having to run from them.

I highly recommend anyone to read this book because it will help you understand what transitions are and how to actually transition. If everything that I have just written doesn't make sense, read the book. If it does make sense, read the book. I sure enjoyed the book.

2 comments:

  1. This is a subject that have confronted me several times in the past and I guess that it will do several times in the future too. But I think that the deep-down principles or beliefs seldom change. What changes is the perspective about a certain thing. We become conscious of the troubles we can face by blindly following our beliefs.
    Thanks for posting this. I will read that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent self-reflection post. I wonder many times if actual "change" is so discreet and slow that we don't recognize it in ourselves. I've felt that way going through the MBA program... I know I've changed a lot but in most ways I feel like the same person, I wonder if there's a lesson to be learned in truly transitioning. My interest is piqued in the book - I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete